Skip to main content

The Magic of Restart


Although I am well into my forties I can avidly remember my childhood as if it were yesterday. Running races, playing hide and seek, blowing bubbles, building masterpieces in the sandbox, watching Sesame Street, or making wishes and believing they would come true. My all-time favorite go-to move was the classic do-over. 

If you played a game and you didn't like the way things were going, no worries, you could simply run to base, start over again, yell "Time out" "Freeze" or request a do-over and you just like that you would receive a fresh start or the game would stand still until you were ready to play again. 

 I naively thought life would come equipped with this capability as well. If things got too tuff I could simply yell out "Time Out" and all of my worries and cares would effortlessly come to a standstill. After I regained my composure life could begin again after
 I was good and ready to opt back in. 

 

Imagine my surprise when I found out that's not th
e
 the way it works. It wasn't readily equipped with this capability. I quickly learned life will throw you as many obstacles as it wants and it wouldn't always allow you time to catch your breath. Not only would it fully expect you to keep right on going as if nothing life-altering happened. It would demand more of you than merely showing up it would demand greatness.

Although I loved the ability to start over as a child. The older I became, the more I instinctively began to despise starting over. The thing I had once adored I now hated. Life can be funny like that sometimes. But what changed? As a child, I saw it as a magic fix and as I became a young adult I saw it as wasted time, energy, and effort. I got to a point in life where I tried to avoid starting over at all costs. 


Perspection is a powerful tool. It's possible to have the same set of circumstances happen to you in different stages in life and both experiences can have two unique outcomes. What's changed? The way we see our situation or circumstance will ultimately impact the way we respond. 

As I've continued to grow I've come to appreciate the ability to restartI no longer see it as a waste but the opportunity to begin a familiar task from a preferable vantage point. Experience gives me the ability to make better decisions. These are lessons that I would not have gained if I failed to begin in the first place.

What's holding you back from accomplishing a goal or dream? Is it because you've attempted it before and you're worried you won't reach the intended target?  Think about the wisdom you are bringing to the table the second, third or tenth time you've attempted it. Experience is on your side! Your vision is waiting on you. What are you waiting for? You've got this! I'll see you at the finish line. ReadySet. Unmute. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pressurized

  Have you ever thought about how some of the most invaluable assets of our world came to be? We rarely consider the processes that are involved in refining gold, diamonds or other precious stones. We simply admire the finished project without regarding the sweat equity that produced these beautiful and costly items.  Pressure is defined as constant physical force that is applied to or against an object. Many of the world's precious treasures that are here today would cease to exist with the absence of pressure. Although the process of pressurizing an object can be a burdensome and tenuous task; I think we'd all agree it's worth it.  Diamonds are formed from carbon that is buried, deep beneath massive layers of earth. They are put under intense pressures equaling 725,000 pounds per square inch. Next, they are exposed to extreme temperatures totalling 2,200 Fahrenheit.    Once found they must be cleaned, sorted and inspected. Only a small number of these diamonds can move on

Live your life outside of the lines

I can remember learning how to color back in kindergarten. My teacher would hold up a perfectly colored coloring sheet that she provided as an example of how the completed assignment should l ook. Next, she handed out the blank coloring sheets and gave the instructions on how to successfully complete the task. Excited, everyone would pull out their set of crayons and begin to color. She would walk through the rows of desks looking at the humble beginnings of these future masterpieces. Occasionally, she would remind us, "Children, remember to stay inside of the lines."Once completed, she would ensure names were on all the coloring sheets and then proceed to hang them up on the bulletin board for everyone to see.        Having your artwork on display for the teacher, classmates and parents was a really big deal. Everyone one would huddle around the bulletin board to determine who submitted the " best" and "worst" work. The inspections were always

We Teach People How to Treat Us

If we close our eyes, we can all visualize a child whining in our ears, complaining, "She did this to me!" "He did that!" It wasn't that hard to imagine, was it? Well, this time, picture an adult doing the same thing? Is that difficult for you to "see"?  Let's be honest. Is this something you're guilty of? Yeah, I know. People are capable of doing some very cruel things, unimaginably at times when we least expect them. But what was your response to their behavior? Did your reaction to the situation tell the person you would accept this or similar behavior from them in the future? I'm not saying you should cut people off for the slightest offense. But you, me, we teach people how to treat us. We show them both what we will and will not tolerate.  Communication is key. No one can advocate for you better than you. You are fully aware of what you do and do not like. If you don't like how someone treated you or the way something made you fee