Skip to main content

Live your life outside of the lines

I can remember learning how to color back in kindergarten. My teacher would hold up a perfectly colored coloring sheet that she provided as an example of how the completed assignment should look. Next, she handed out the blank coloring sheets and gave the instructions on how to successfully complete the task. Excited, everyone would pull out their set of crayons and begin to color. She would walk through the rows of desks looking at the humble beginnings of these future masterpieces. Occasionally, she would remind us, "Children, remember
to stay inside of the lines."Once completed, she would
ensure names were on all the coloring sheets and then proceed to hang them up on the bulletin board for everyone to see.

       Having your artwork on display for the teacher, classmates and parents was a really big deal. Everyone one would huddle around the bulletin board to determine who submitted the "best" and "worst" work. The inspections were always brutal. You could audibly hear the whispers because someone forgot to "Stay inside the. lines." 


         Most of my classmates, including myself, would look for the approval of others. Some children would be moved to tears if they felt like they did not receive the approval they desired. My teacher would attempt to provide consolation to any child who expressed hurt feelings. But there would always be that one individual who would proudly admire their artwork with daring colors that defiantly danced outside of the lines. They stood undaunted by everyone’s opinions of their work. I can admit, at the time I couldn't understand their contentment and sense of satisfaction despite the sentiments of the crowd.


       As a former child care program director and teacher I've had the pleasure of experiencing a role reversal. I've given out numerous coloring sheets and other arts and crafts assignments. When I first started out I would complete the project ahead of time, display the piece, hand out materials, give instructions and wait for the children to complete the project. Like my former teacher; I would give reminders to "Stay within the lines". After the work was completed I'd display the projects in the classroom for everyone to see. 


       One day, a child became visibly distraught because his artwork didn't look like mine. I felt horrible! Naturally I tried to console him, but he continued to cry. I held him and tried to reassure him, I repeatedly try to convey that his work was beautiful. After a while he quieted down and we finished our day. It was at that moment that all of those feelings of anxiety that I'd spent as a child in front of my class bulletin board came rushing back to me. This event challenged my ideas on art and creative expression. 


            Truthfully, I probably would've continued my art class in this fashion if it had not been for this incident. I honestly thought this was the correct way to conduct my art class because it was the way I was taught. I finally recognized that I had been giving my class unrealistic expectations. Art is about self expression. At that moment I experienced the valuable lesson of process over completed product. From that day forward, I no longer completed the project ahead of time and told the class this is the way it was supposed to look. Instead, I choose projects that would allow each child to be an

individual and showcase his/her talents. Finally, I began

to notice all of the beautiful drawings with vivacious

colors that boldly and defiantly danced outside of the lines and I proudly admired their handiwork.


         What limitations were placed upon you as a child or as an adult? Have you been living life in mentally confined spaces that you've longed to outgrow, but you

feel trapped and yearn to be set free? Give yourself

permission to live your life boldly and courageously. You can live your life outside of the lines. Be like that child

who dares to color despite the unrealistic expectations

and the opinions of others. Learn to smile at yourself

despite the naysayers all around you. You can do it.You've got this! Ready! Set! Unmute!









Comments

  1. That's GROWTH.... Learning other Perspectives and letting yourself become more compassionate about others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment. I hope you have learned to color outside the lines as well.

      Delete
  2. I've always colored outside of the lines sometimes purposely sometimes by accident. Beautifully written ❤️❤️❤️😭

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coloring outside of the lines is your super power. Don't shrink yourself to fit into someone else's perception of what you should be. Be you!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pressurized

  Have you ever thought about how some of the most invaluable assets of our world came to be? We rarely consider the processes that are involved in refining gold, diamonds or other precious stones. We simply admire the finished project without regarding the sweat equity that produced these beautiful and costly items.  Pressure is defined as constant physical force that is applied to or against an object. Many of the world's precious treasures that are here today would cease to exist with the absence of pressure. Although the process of pressurizing an object can be a burdensome and tenuous task; I think we'd all agree it's worth it.  Diamonds are formed from carbon that is buried, deep beneath massive layers of earth. They are put under intense pressures equaling 725,000 pounds per square inch. Next, they are exposed to extreme temperatures totalling 2,200 Fahrenheit.    Once found they must be cleaned, sorted and inspected. Only a small number of these diamonds can move on

Go Get It

I absolutely love object lessons. An object lesson can provide a unique viewpoint by providing a tangible object to illustrate a teaching or principle. The amazing aspect of using an object lesson is the power of association. Each time you see an image that correlates with that particular subject, the teaching or principle will be reinforced and renewed in the mind. The start of a New Year always brings the thought of resolutions. What were the goals you set for the year? Have you begun working on your to do list? Maybe you know what you want, but you're unsure of how to get it. Well, let's take some inspiration from these big cats. Leopards generally hunt alone. They are risk averse, so you will not find these lovely cats engaging in a confrontational battle. A leopard's night vision is 7 times better than that of humans. They are nocturnal creatures, knowing their advantages, most of their hunting occurs at night. They pick animals that are smaller and defenseless. These